Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm always responsible sometimes




Question. Was it "practical" for us to jump in the car one Saturday morning, drive an hour or so, and pay money to rescue a dog? Mind you, we had no bed, blankets, toys, food or anything else to accommodate such an addition to our little family. Also, the info sheet on the dog's cage said that the cute little puppy you are holding could end up weighing around 80 to 90 pounds!! Wait, there's more. What if you throw in the fact that we have a 5 year old girl with more energy than the Sun and a toddler who was just beginning the get his legs underneath him? Sit! I'm not done. What if I said we had nowhere to keep the animal outside and the dude at the shelter said "now, just a furr warnin', he might like to chew on furniture and wood frames and what such"? These are just a few of the many reasons why the answer to the question first asked above is "NO!!"

Now, when that little puppy ran up to my little girl (4 at the time) and starting licking her face while she giggled and laughed I guess, I could've said this isn't "practical", "smart", "convenient", "a good idea" or "a good use of time or money". When Will pointed to the dog and looked at me and his Mommy and said "MOMMY-DADDY DOGGY!!! DOGGY!!! DOGGY!!!" I probably should've said something like "okay gang, this was a fun trip but we should get out of the way so someone can come look at these puppies and take them home" and headed for the door (probably could've bribed them with McDonald's and ice-cream for good measure). But...I didn't. For some reason, that day, in that moment, the practical/logical me stepped aside and a much cooler, more fun-loving, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants dude took the lead.

Listen, I am not Mr. Spotaneity that often. And, well, that's kinda the point. I should be. We all should be. If I had let the "everyday" me call the shots at the dog shelter, my family would missed out on the sweetness of having Dunkin' (the licking, chewing, forever eating everything, 4 month old, 30 pound, sack-o-sugar) around. Okay, yes, be responsible. But, don't be so responsible all the time.

2 comments:

  1. My take away of this story is that that little boy looks just like you. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should also get a hampster & install a coy pond!

    ReplyDelete