Thursday, April 15, 2010

it’s flattery...no really, it is!

I was recently told by a good friend and trusted advisor (though “trusted” may be a bit of a stretch for obvious reasons) that, in the event my legal career crashes, I could, and should, move to Branson, MO to become an impersonator. You know what? I’m not good at impersonating folks at all. But, I love, and am infatuated with, people. Constantly, I’m watching and listening to those small idiosyncrasies that make all of us so different. Now, before you get paranoid and think I may pick up on some annoying habit you have next time we are together, let me clarify.

The exercise of the gifts that so many of you have been given is what draws my (and others around you) attention. To watch someone doing what they are passionate about is captivating and we are immediately drawn in...our senses heightened. We become keenly aware of how you sound, stand, sit, gesture, react, smile, frown, laugh, cry, zone out, clue in and tons of other stuff.

Simply stated, we are really interesting creatures when we passionately pour ourselves into...whatever. I have buddies who preach, sing, sell, "practice" and work on the line. And, it's not just work. Some are most passionate when playing or spending free time. The ones I (and others) want to watch, or even imitate, are the ones who do it like they HAVE to. These people desire, in fact they insist on, doing whatever their passion is, even if that means giving it away for free.

Do you feel that way about anything?

1 comment: